Problem using the server name extension

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Apr 29 02:30:01 CEST 2010

My client is compiled against gnutls 2.8.5. I am connecting to a server
that's built against OpenSSL 1.0.0.

The OpenSSL server is failing the handshake with the following error
message:

error:1408A0E3:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:parse tlsext

After some Googling around, I remove my client's call to
gnutls_server_name_set( .. GNUTLS_NAME_DNS .. ), and that makes OpenSSL
happy.

If I do not invoke gnutls_server_name_set(), we have a happy conversation.
If I invoke gnutls_server_name_set(), OpenSSL bombs out during the
handshake.

Has anyone seen this before?