Two gnutls-cli feature requests

Ilari Liusvaara ilari.liusvaara at elisanet.fi
Mon Jun 28 21:47:19 CEST 2010

Gnutls version 2.8.6 (I'll upgrade to 2.10 when it appears in distro
repositories, but didn't note any relevant entries in changelog summary).

I have run into two problems / features I wish I had with gnutls-cli:

1) Gnutls-cli seems to send most[1] of its messages to stdout. If application
calling gnutls-cli[2] expects that stdin/stdout are not molested, then it
will fail.

2) Option to make gnutls-cli read SRP password interactively from /dev/tty
or non-interactively from fd. Passing passwords in command line is really
insecure.

[1] Some messages seem to be sent into stderr.
[2] It can be user-specified command (that's the case I noted this behaviour
with anyway)...

-Ilari