handshaking takes too long (although, session resuming *seems* to work)

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Tue Mar 16 15:35:24 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Christian Parpart <trapni at gentoo.org> wrote:

> What I now see, is, that on first (client web browser) connect, a record
> gets stored my cache, and on the second call, I successively return this
> data back to gnutls, however, the session resuming still takes as much
> time as on the first request.

Does your client support session resumption? It has to be supported by both to
be effective. If you use gnutls-cli add the --resume option.

> I've tested it on my netbook (quite thin hardware, though), and there it
> takes about 2.5 seconds. still too long even without session resuming?
> Compared to Apache, even the first request responded quite instant.

Different algorithms in gnutls have different speeds. The defaults are sorted
on a security margin and speed was not a concern. Check the priority functions
documentation for more information.