gnutls_handshake() thread problem

Jay Anra jay.janra at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:54:54 CET 2010

On 21 Oct I reported a problem I was having with inconsistent errors that
appeared to be connected with libgcrypt and asynchronous sockets.

It turns out the problem was not specifically libgcrypt but
gnutls_handshake().

What was happening was that the socket interrupt was calling
gnutls_handshake() with a response from the server, interrupting the
previous call to gnutls_handshake() that had not yet returned. The interrupt
call to gnutls_handshake() obviously conflicting with the previous
incomplete call to gnutls_handshake() and causing all sorts of inconsistent
errors.

I have used a mutex to protect gnutls_hansdshake() and the problems have
gone away.

Would it be possible to build protection into the library for this?