GnuTLS and pkg-config

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 03:53:42 CET 2010

Hi All,

I was reading the online manual, Section 7.1.5, Building the Source,
at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/gnutls.html.

I think the pkg-config trick is kind of neat, so I started kicking the tires.

On Ubuntu, I seem to be having some problems getting useful
information from pkg-config. Any ideas?

Jeff

$ uname -a
Linux 2.6.32-25-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 19:52:42 UTC 2010
x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ pkg-config gnutls --cflags
Package gnutls was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gnutls.pc'
No package 'gnutls' found
$ apt-cache pkgnames | grep libgnutls | sort
libgnutls11-dev
libgnutls13-dbg
libgnutls26
libgnutls26-dbg
libgnutls5-dev
libgnutls-dev
$ pkg-config libgnutls26 --cflags
Package libgnutls26 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnutls26.pc'
No package 'libgnutls26' found
$