When do I need to install dh parameters?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Oct 3 16:19:57 CEST 2010

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos writes:

> On 10/03/2010 12:14 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> I find that sometimes I can get through a handshake without loading DH
>> parameters, other times handshake fails unless I install them. As far as
>> I can see that's the only major difference between my code that works
>> without DH parameters, and the one that fails to handshake unless DH
>> parameters are installed. Am I on the right track, or are there also
>> other situations?
>
> Depends on the ciphersuite chosen (by you or the peer). The DHE
> ciphersuites require them.

Thanks, but my question was, fundamentally, why would AES-256-CBC/RSA/SHA1
be unavailable, and common ciphersuites for a session would include only DHE
ciphersuites, like, AES-256-CBC/DHE-RSA/SHA1, so DH parameters are required.

The docs I read were easily understood in terms of requirements for
temporary RSA parametes -- to support weak ciphersuites. But for DH
parameters, the documented requirement was described as just to support DHE
ciphersuites, but without explaining when DHE ciphersuites are required.

In one of my test suites, AES-256-CBC/RSA/SHA1 was easily negotiated. In
another one, only a DHE ciphersuite could be negotiated, and it would fail
unless I install DH parameters, and then the handshake easily produced a
AES-256-CBC/DHE-RSA/SHA1 session. I was trying to understand why
AES-256-CBC/RSA/SHA1 was dropped in that case, and not available in that
specific test scenario.

By trial and error, I think I found at least a part of the answer: it seems
to me that if the server's certificate includes the
GNUTLS_KEY_KEY_ENCIPHERMENT flag, set by gnutls_x509_crt_set_key(), then the
non-DHE cipher suites are available. Without this flag, only DHE
ciphersuites are available for negotiation.