GnuTLS priority strings

Martin Lambers marlam at marlam.de
Mon Apr 25 20:57:28 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have some trouble with priority strings since
gnutls_protocol_set_priority() is deprecated:

Both msmtp and mpop can pass user-specified priority strings to GnuTLS,
and both also provide the independent option to force SSLv3.

Up until now, I could specifiy the priority string with
gnutls_priority_set_direct() and subsequently use
gnutls_protocol_set_priority() to force SSLv3, and this worked as expected.

To avoid using a deprecated function, I now need to force SSLv3 by
extending a given priority string.

I tried to append ":-VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-SSL3.0" (e.g.
"NORMAL:-VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-SSL3.0"), but this does not work: it still
results in other TLS versions being enabled. Apparently later entries do
not override previous entries. So how should this be done instead?

Regards,
Martin