Hardware Accelerator Advice

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Thu Nov 10 10:09:25 CET 2011

Hey folks,

I'd like the advice of anyone who would like to offer some regarding my
intended usage of GnuTLS.

I'd like to use it as part of a game server to ensure secure client /
server authentication during the handshake. During that process, I
understand that it can be resource intensive on the server when there
may be hundreds of clients attempting to do the same thing at the same
time. I know that there is a such thing as SSL hardware accelerator
cards that can have this computation offloaded to them, but seek
informed advice from the community for this situation.

(1) It's hard to get up to date information these devices. Are they
superannuated by something else?

(2) Would one even be appropriate for this situation on the server?

(3) Can anyone recommend a card compatible with GnuTLS? I believe any
that implement /dev/crypto, correct? Assume that the server would be
running GNU/Linux with a relatively recent kernel.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred