Error when using an encrypted private key

Jason Cooper skawaii at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 21:44:40 CET 2012

I'm using Linux Mint 12, which comes with GnuTLS 2.10.5. I'm working on
configuring Git with https. On Linux Mint, Git is using GnuTLS under the
hood, so I'm hoping this is the right place to get help.

Basically, what I'm seeing is that my requests never get to the server when
I use an encrypted private key. I started using gnutls-cli to debug and
this is what I'm seeing:

$ gnutls-cli -V --x509certfile usercert.pem --x509keyfile userkey.pem
titan.cloud.company.com
Processed 1 client certificates...
*** Error loading key file: ASN1 parser: Error in TAG.

If I use an unencrypted private key, then the connection is successfully
made:

$ gnutls-cli -V --x509certfile usercert.pem --x509keyfile userkey2.pem
titan.cloud.company.com
Processed 1 client certificates...
Processed 1 client X.509 certificates...
Resolving 'titan.cloud.company.com'...
Connecting to '192.169.2.1:443'...

What I'm really wondering is can I use encrypted keys with GnuTLS 2.10.5?
If so, any hints on what else could be the problem? I'd really prefer to
not have my private key stored in the clear.

Thanks for the help,
Jason