GnuTLS/NSS interop in Exim 4.80 RC

Phil Pennock help-gnutls-phil at spodhuis.org
Sun May 20 12:40:45 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-20 at 06:16 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
> Short: NSS client to GnuTLS 2.12 (but not 2.8) fails TLS negotiation,
> GnuTLS dropping connection after reporting receiving a phantom packet.

I am sorry.

Correction: there is no phantom packet.  GnuTLS returns the
"GNUTLS_E_UNEXPECTED_PACKET_LENGTH -9    /* GNUTLS_A_RECORD_OVERFLOW */"
error code when there is an EOF because of abrupt client disconnect.

So much of my analysis is bonkers, but there's still an issue.  NSS
*can* set up a client connection to GnuTLS 2.8 but not 2.12,
disconnecting after receiving server_hello_done.

Any help / guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
-Phil