GnuTLS 3, BSD, netinet/ip.h

Phil Pennock help-gnutls-phil at spodhuis.org
Fri May 25 08:42:28 CEST 2012

On 2012-05-24 at 10:28 +0000, Janne Snabb wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2012, Phil Pennock wrote:
> > Ah, thanks.  FreeBSD Ports system and Ubuntu both lack GnuTLS 3, so I
> > stuck to 2.12.
>
> Ubuntu 12.04 actually has GnuTLS 3.0.11 but it is the same as in Debian
> sid and testing: the package name is really confusing, they call it
> "libgnutls28" for some strange reason. Unfortunately all the GnuTLS
> consumers (such as Exim packages for example) are linking against some
> older 2.x version depending on the distribution.

*sigh*  Well, we now use pkg-config for finding dependencies; I've
updated my Ubuntu colo VM from Oneiric to Pangolin, to get libgnutls28
available.  libgnutls28 remains non-default, but I have it now.

There are now two -dev packages containing headers and the pkg-config
file, "libgnutls-dev" and "libgnutls28-dev".  They're marked as
conflicting, so only one can be installed at once.

So Exim's current limitations concerning conflicts in include/library
paths for different components aren't an issue.  Install the -dev
package wanted, use USE_GNUTLS_PC=gnutls as suggested in Local/Makefile
and anyone building for themselves will get GnuTLS 3.

-Phil