gnutls 3.1.0 -> 3.1.4 wMNAF-based multiplication change and a problem

Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz arekm at maven.pl
Sat Nov 24 09:35:53 CET 2012

On Saturday 24 of November 2012, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 11:52 PM, Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz wrote:
> > Hi
> > Starting with a commit:
> >
> > commit 45bf20ad3f799bf219958c3ba705898440c74e4a
> > Author: Ilya Tumaykin <itumaykin at gmail.com>
> > Date:   Thu Aug 30 11:36:34 2012 +0400
> >
> >     wMNAF-based multiplication
> >
> > php started to segfault here.
> >
> > To reproduce here I'm using php cli program + module gmp and curl.
> >
> > Uninstalling php gmp module and the problem is gone. My curl uses gnutls.
> >
> > The fact that I need gmp php module to reproduce makes me wonder
> > if there is some global state (maybe in gmp) that's overwritten by
> > gnutls?
> >
> > Any ideas/hints on what can be going on here?
>
> Hello,
>  Could it be that the gmp module uses some conflicting gmp library
> version? (check whether you have multiple gmp libraries in your system).

There is only one gmp library in my system (and php doesn't have any bundled
library).

Now I see that php gmp module uses:

mp_set_memory_functions(gmp_emalloc, gmp_erealloc, gmp_efree);

gmp_exxx are functions that use Zend memory management code.

This conflicts with gnutls gmp usage. Confirmed by commenting out that line
(so generic memory management functions are used in php gmp module) - no
longer segfaults.

Ok, CC help-gnutls@

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz, arekm / maven.pl