dametool cert file format

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Oct 13 22:10:10 CEST 2012

Using base64 encoded cert and key files I get ASN1 parser: Error in TAG
errors when I try to use danetool to generate TLSA RRs.

I've tried a number of invocations (host names changed):

:; danetool --tlsa-rr --host foo.example.net --load-certificate=foo_example_net_cert.pem
danetool: crt_import: ASN1 parser: Error in TAG.

:; danetool --tlsa-rr --host foo.example.net --load-pubkey=foo_example_net_key.pem
danetool: importing --load-pubkey: foo_example_net_key.pem: ASN1 parser: Error in TAG.

What kind of file does danetool expect?  I have RSA PRIVATE KEY,
CERTIFICATE REQUEST and CERTIFICATE files in pem format.

Also, the arg syntax-error report says:

  danetool [options] [url]
  danetool --help for usage instructions.

but --help suggests that there are no non-option args.

-JimC