[gnutls-help] confusion regarding private key encryption

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Apr 17 09:29:37 CEST 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM, MK <mk at cognitivedissonance.ca> wrote:

> I have a password encrypted private key associated with an x509
> certificate. The key can be read with:
> openssl rsa -in keyfile
> And providing the password.  I am trying to import this for use with
> gnutls:

This doesn't provide much information. Openssl supports many encryption
schemes, and some of them are long time obsolete and not supported by
gnutls. Which one did you use? I'd suggest that you use the PKCS #8 with
the PBES2 scheme.

> I inevitably get a -302, GNUTLS_E_PARSING_ERROR.  I have also tried

Try "certtool -k" on that key and enable verbosity to see more details on
the error. What are the headers of you key?