[gnutls-help] GNUTLS_E_PREMATURE_TERMINATION error

Polina Abramov polinaa at image-vault.com
Mon May 5 15:27:13 CEST 2014

You are right, it was the alert message type, not the alert type.
After some more investigation I now see what is happening but it is still unclear why.

When my smtp client is done sending the email it issues smtp QUIT message  and waits for 221 reply which the server should issue based on SMTP standard. However for some unknown reason
the client never receives that 221 reply, instead gnutls_record_recv() function returns GNUTLS_E_PREMATURE_TERMINATION. Seems like the server starts termination process without notifying the client.
As a result of not receiving the expected 221 reply, our TLS session times out and that's when the alert to close the session is issued. So the alert that I am seeing is an expected behavior.
The only thing that is unclear here is why don't I receive 221 reply to my QUIT message from gmail and hotmail servers.
Any ideas about that?

Thanks,
P.A.