[gnutls-help] Installing GnuTLS on a Raspberry Pi

Alexander Ausserstorfer bavariasound at chiemgau-net.de
Mon May 19 20:38:26 CEST 2014

In message <1400417635343.15721 at my.unt.edu> you wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.  The link you included goes to b a page in
> German which I do not read.  You would not happen to know if there is
> a version of this page in English.

I posted also an article (in English) to the newsgroup
comp.sys.acorn.programmer if it helps you but I couldn't find it on my
current machine yet. It seems that I had used another machine for it. It
may be that you can find it in one of the Usenet archives, may be Google
group. It isn't such a long time I posted it there, one month or so.

Keep in mind that the information I posted there are for RISC OS, the
native and fast operating system for ARM, not Unix. This is why I
thought it isn't so important or helpful to you.

I found two e-mails now with more information about it:

> Here are the links to the libraries you'll need to download. You'll also
> need GCC 4.1.2 to build it natively on RISC OS.
>
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libgnutls-dev_2.12.20-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libgmp-dev_5.0.5+dfsg-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libgpg-error-dev_1.10-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libnettle-dev_2.4-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libtasn1-dev_2.14-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/zlib1g-dev_1.2.8-1.zip
> http://www.riscos.info/packages/arm/Library/libgettext-dev_0.18.1.1-1.zip

To build the code, you have to call !GCC with

> wimpslot 6000k
> gcc -O3 -static gnutls.c -ognutls -ILibGNUTLS: -LLibGMP: -lgmp -LLibGNUTLS: -lgnutls -LLibGPGError: -lgpg-error -LLibNettle: -lhogweed -lnettle -LLibTASN1: -ltasn1 -LZlib1g: -lz -LLibGetText: -lintl
> elf2aif gnutls

And then, there was a problem with older hardware (StrongARM):

> I had a closer look at the libraries involved and that code belongs to
> the libgmp library which contains a large set of ARM assembler routines
> which use "BX" despite that library claiming to support ARMv4.
>
> Luckily enough, this is easy to fix so I've uploaded a new LibGMP-Dev
> library for you (6.0.0+dfsg-2) which should fix your problem after a
> relink : http://www.riscos.info/packages/LibraryDetails.html#LibGMP-Dev

It is an older version of GnuTLS we're using on RISC OS at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Alex

--
http://home.chiemgau-net.de/ausserstorfer/