[gnutls-help] too few bits from gnutls_dh_params_generate2() ?

Pierre Ossman ossman at cendio.se
Tue Nov 11 12:50:14 CET 2014

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:42:10 +0100,
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM, Pierre Ossman <ossman at cendio.se> wrote:
> > It was generated like this:
> >
> >   if (gnutls_dh_params_generate2(dh_params, DH_BITS) != GNUTLS_E_SUCCESS)
> >     throw AuthFailureException("gnutls_dh_params_generate2 failed");
>
> A question that arises, is why do you generate those parameters
> anyway? Why not ship some static parameters (via certtool
> --get-dh-params).

Unfortunately I have no idea as I did not write that code. It's probably
based on one of your examples that generates them on the fly.

TBH, I've never gotten a good grasp on what a good security policy is
with regard to DH params. Some have pregenerated values, but I also see
references that they should be regenerated every few hours/days/etc.

Got any insight to share?

> >> One option would be to upgrade to 3.3.x.
> >>
> > But that is still not considered a stable series, right?
>
> It is the current stable.

Oh. I got confused by the front page which states:

> Released GnuTLS 3.3.10, GnuTLS 3.2.20, GnuTLS 3.1.28, which are bug-fix releases on the next, current and previous stable branches respectively.

I.e. 3.3.10 is being called "next", which suggests to me that it wasn't
stable yet. But I see now that the download page lists 3.3.x as stable.

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman           Software Development
Cendio AB		https://cendio.com