[gnutls-help] 0-length handshake fragments with DTLS

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at polarssl.org
Tue Sep 2 15:17:21 CEST 2014

Hi,

I just noticed a behaviour that, while not buggy at all, is suboptimal, with the
way handshake messages are fragmented in DTLS to respect the MTU: when the
length of a handshake message is an exact multiple of the maximum allowed
fragment length (according to the MTU and the current output tranformation), an
additional (unneeded) fragment with length 0 and offset = the length of the
message is sent.

Again, I'm not claiming this is a bug, and I don't think it can cause interop
issues with other correct implementations, but it would look cleaner IMO (and
slightly more efficient) to avoid sending this message.

Best regards,
Manuel.

PS: gnutls-serv 3.3.7