[gnutls-help] issue with Windows 2008r2 Ldap

Hilitec andre at liechti.net
Mon Dec 28 11:03:35 CET 2015

Seyeong Kim <seyeong.kim <at> canonical.com> writes:

> Hello
>
> I have an issue with gnutls ( maybe not ) and Windows 2008r2 Ldap
>
> when I tried to ldapsearch to windows ldap, I got below message
>
> TLS: can't connect: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received..
>
> there are two AD, 2008r2, 2012r2 and I could only see this error on 2012r2
+ ubuntu 14.xx combination

> I checked gnutls version
>
> libgnutls26 | 2.12.23-12ubuntu2.3
>
> libgnutls-deb0-28 | 3.3.8-3ubuntu3   | vivid
>
> Is there any commits I can refer to this issue?
>
> I know there are large differences between two versions. so I need an advice.
>
> Thanks

Hello,

GnuTLS and SChannel (Microsoft) implementations are not (yet) compatible for
TLS 1.2 negotiation during AD/LDAPS binding.

The trick is to disable TLS1.2 for OpenLDAP like this:
export LDAPTLS_CIPHER_SUITE=NORMAL:!VERS-TLS1.2

If you are binding AD/LDAP from PHP, you can do something like that:
putenv(‘LDAPTLS_CIPHER_SUITE=NORMAL:!VERS-TLS1.2’);

Hope it helps

Best regards,

Andre