[gnutls-help] Detect whether certificate is self-signed

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Thu Jan 8 18:22:02 CET 2015

On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 19:50:09 +0200 Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:

DE> ...that's way simpler. :-)
>> Could this be abstracted into a function so, if GnuTLS implements it
>> differently in the future (following the RFC or something else), clients
>> don't have to be changed?  It seems to be fairly useful.

NM>  Not sure if I follow. gnutls_x509_crt_check_issuer() is already a
NM> function, what do you think should be abstracted into a function?

That function checks the issuer. It can be *used* to check if a
certificate is self-signed as you explained, but I didn't find that in
the docs and IMO that verification feels like it should be an enum in
`gnutls_certificate_verify_flags`.  Maybe it's good enough to just add
that usage to the docs...

Ted