[gnutls-help] More specific output when an error occurs

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Sep 11 15:01:00 CEST 2017

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Pascal Withopf <pwithopf at adiscon.com> wrote:
> At the moment rsyslog is giving the quoted text as error, but it is not
> sufficient.
> I made the experience, that users want to know more in detail what went
> wrong.
> The error is generic because it only tells you that something went wrong in
> parsing.
> But I would like to add the information What went wrong.

That's up to application to report correct errors. rsyslog knows that
this is an error at the certificate loading routine, and it's a
parsing error. Thus it can display something much more user friendly
rather than displaying the gnutls error code in isolation.

> So my question is, if there is a way to get more information on the specific
> error, like "Could not find '-----BEGIN EC PRIVATE KEY" without having to
> look at the whole debugging output.

That is unfortunately debugging output. This is not intended for
end-user to see, unless debugging. Imagine what would be the actual
message if that was a DER or a PKCS#12 file.