[gnutls-help] gnutls 3.6.7

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Mar 27 08:07:57 CET 2019

Hello,
 I've just released gnutls 3.6.7. This is a bug fix and security
release on the stable 3.6.x branch.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed in this release:
Alon Bar-Lev, Anderson Toshiyuki Sasaki, Andreas Metzler, Bas van
Schaik, Daiki Ueno, Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov, Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen,
Ke Zhao, R. Andrew Bailey, Steve Lhomme, and Tim Rühsen.

The applicable security advisory GNUTLS-SA-2019-03-27 will be made
available at:
https://www.gnutls.org/security-new.html

The detailed list of changes follows; they can be seen in more detail
in our milestone tracker:
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/milestones/19

Changes
=======

* Version 3.6.7 (released 2019-03-27)

** libgnutls, gnutls tools: Every gnutls_free() will automatically set
   the free'd pointer to NULL. This prevents possible use-after-free and
   double free issues. Use-after-free will be turned into NULL dereference.
   The counter-measure does not extend to applications using gnutls_free().

** libgnutls: Fixed a memory corruption (double free) vulnerability in the
   certificate verification API. Reported by Tavis Ormandy; addressed with
   the change above. [GNUTLS-SA-2019-03-27, #694]

** libgnutls: Fixed an invalid pointer access via malformed TLS1.3 async messages;
   Found using tlsfuzzer. [GNUTLS-SA-2019-03-27, #704]

** libgnutls: enforce key usage limitations on certificates more actively.
   Previously we would enforce it for TLS1.2 protocol, now we enforce it
   even when TLS1.3 is negotiated, or on client certificates as well. When
   an inappropriate for TLS1.3 certificate is seen on the credentials structure
   GnuTLS will disable TLS1.3 support for that session (#690).

** libgnutls: the default number of tickets sent under TLS 1.3 was increased to
   two. This makes it easier for clients which perform multiple connections
   to the server to use the tickets sent by a default server.

** libgnutls: enforce the equality of the two signature parameters fields in
   a certificate. We were already enforcing the signature algorithm, but there
   was a bug in parameter checking code.

** libgnutls: fixed issue preventing sending and receiving from different
   threads when false start was enabled (#713).

** libgnutls: the flag GNUTLS_PKCS11_OBJ_FLAG_LOGIN_SO now implies a writable
   session, as non-writeable security officer sessions are undefined in PKCS#11
   (#721).

** libgnutls: no longer send downgrade sentinel in TLS 1.3.
   Previously the sentinel value was embedded to early in version
   negotiation and was sent even on TLS 1.3. It is now sent only when
   TLS 1.2 or earlier is negotiated (#689).

** gnutls-cli: Added option --logfile to redirect informational messages output.

** API and ABI modifications:
No changes since last version.

Getting the Software
====================

GnuTLS may be downloaded directly from
<ftp://ftp.gnutls.org/gcrypt/gnutls/>;.  A list of GnuTLS mirrors can
be found at <http://www.gnutls.org/download.html>;.

Here are the XZ compressed sources:

  https://www.gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnutls/v3.6/gnutls-3.6.7.tar.xz

Here are OpenPGP detached signatures signed using key 0x96865171:

  https://www.gnupg.org/ftp/gcrypt/gnutls/v3.6/gnutls-3.6.7.tar.xz.sig

Note that it has been signed with my openpgp key:
pub   3104R/96865171 2008-05-04 [expires: 2028-04-29]
uid                  Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav <at> gnutls.org>
uid                  Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <n.mavrogiannopoulos <at>
gmail.com>
sub   2048R/9013B842 2008-05-04 [expires: 2018-05-02]
sub   2048R/1404A91D 2008-05-04 [expires: 2018-05-02]