[gnutls-help] false start

Jeremy Harris jgh at wizmail.org
Fri Feb 7 14:44:07 CET 2020

gnutls_session_get_desc() seems to not be usefully
callable immediately after gnutls_handshake() returns,
with False Start in play, which is reasonable.
However it also isn't returning useful info when called
during a handshake-done callback set up with

  gnutls_handshake_set_hook_function(state->session,
      GNUTLS_HANDSHAKE_FINISHED, GNUTLS_HOOK_POST, ...

I suspect the cause is the obvious flag
"initial_negotiation_completed", set in handshake_client()
only after the state-machine has terminated.

Lacking the access via callback, I assume I have to
check on every data read to see if I've acquired the
info yet - which is ugly.

Could the info be made accessible earlier?  How early?

Are other API call limited in when they are callable?
Specifically
 gnutls_certificate_get_peers()
 gnutls_certificate_verify_peers2()
 gnutls_alert_send()