[gnutls-help] ECDH internal functions and FIPS140-2 mode

Nicolas Mora nicolas at babelouest.org
Sun Feb 21 23:39:18 CET 2021

Hello,

I'd like to use ECDH key agreement with GnuTLS. As far as I can see,
there is no public function to generate a shared secret with ECC keys.

In lib/nettle/pk.c [1], the ECDH functions are defined if ENABLE_FIPS140
is defined.

According to thee documentation [2], FIPS140-2 mode is not available
without adding configure option –enable-fips140-mode.

In an old message on this ML [3], it was offered these functions to be
exported in the normal API, but this message wasn't answered, and the
ecdh functions are still private and available only with FIPS140-2 mode.

I'd like to make a feature request for the ECDH functions to be
available in the normal API, even in non FIPS140-2 mode. Would it be
possible in a future version?

Thanks in advance

/Nicolas

[1] https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/blob/master/lib/nettle/pk.c