[gnutls-help] Guile-Gnutls bindings to separate git repo?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Dec 13 11:39:10 CET 2022

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the long delay.

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> skribis:

> I pushed out 3.7.10 to improve maintainer rules a bit.  Would you like
> to make a 3.7.11 shortly?  To test the release process and get your
> OpenPGP key into distributions' keyring.  I'm hoping the process is just
> 1) clone repository, 2) ./bootstrap, 3) follow README-release.

I see you went ahead with new releases, thank you!

Now that Gnulib’s pulled in, building from a checkout is significantly
more difficult; for example, the package in Guix cannot be updated as-is
because we’d first need to download a copy of all of Gnulib (with an
“origin”) because ./autopull.sh won’t work in the isolated, network-less
build environment.

(We could build from the source tarball, but Guix is trying to gradually
move away from that as part of its effort on reproducible builds,
because tarballs are in fact build products.)

Since there’s little C and IMO not a strong need for a sophisticated
release machinery, I wonder if we could avoid the dependency on Gnulib?

Sorry for the late and perhaps unexpected reply.  :-)

Cheers,
Ludo’.