[gnutls-help] Problem with gnutls running inside parallels on an imac (illegal instruction)

Gunnar Stahl gunnar.stahl at gunnarstahl.org
Tue Oct 11 14:52:00 CEST 2022

Hello list,

I have a problem with running debian inside parallels on an iMac 2019 (i5 8500, 64gb ram). Debian actually runs fine, but downloading lineageos via the repo command fails and it seems it is due to gnutls.

When I tried to download lineageos via the repo command
>> repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git <https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git> -b lineage-19.1
the command failed with an 'git was killed with signal 4' error.

I narrowed it down to git trying to clone from an http**s** source, which I think utilizes openssl. The command
>> git clone 'https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo <https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo>'
dies with the error message 'git-remote-https died of signal 4‘.

When I try to do the same with
>> wget https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo <https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo>
I receive the error 'Illegal instruction'.

Initially I thought this was a problem with openssl and asked the openssl dev mailing list.
They pointed me to producing a coredump. So I did:

# ulimit -c unlimeted
# sudo sysctl -w kernel.core_uses_pid=1

and reproduced the error with

# wget https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo

which produced a core dump file which I opened via

# gdb wget core.252637

and that stated:

###
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
Core was generated by `wget https://gerrit.googlesource.com/git-repo'.
Program terminated with signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
#0  0x00007f3a9594fb0a in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.30
###

So it seems that it isn’t openssl causing the problem but gnutls. I therefore tried to apt source —compile libgnutls and that fails in the test phase with lots of lines like:

###
make[6]: Entering directory '/home/gunnarstahl/build-libgnutls/gnutls28-3.7.7/b4deb/tests'
../../build-aux/test-driver: line 112: 361413 Illegal instruction     "$@" >> "$log_file" 2>&1
FAIL: tls13/supported_versions
../../build-aux/test-driver: line 112: 361411 Illegal instruction     "$@" >> "$log_file" 2>&1
../../build-aux/test-driver: line 112: 361412 Illegal instruction     "$@" >> "$log_file" 2>&1
FAIL: tls13/tls12-no-tls13-exts
FAIL: tls13/post-handshake-with-cert
FAIL: sanity-cpp
../../build-aux/test-driver: line 112: 361441 Illegal instruction     "$@" >> "$log_file" 2>&1
###

Anything I can do here apart from switching to native hardware? Some compiler switches or anything? Any help is appreciated. I’ll happily provide the necessary log files.