[gnutls-help] gnutls 3.7.7

Daiki Ueno ueno at gnu.org
Fri Sep 2 10:36:56 CEST 2022

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Daiki Ueno <ueno at gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Marius,
>>
>> Marius Schamschula <lists at schamschula.com> writes:
>>
>>> I’m the maintainer of the gnutls package for MacPorts.
>>>
>>> Repology just tagged gnutls 3.6.16 as vulnerable.
>>>
>>> It seems that the security fix(es) in gnutls 3.7.7 have not been
>>> back ported to the 3.6.x
>>> branch, which is still listed as the stable branch.
>>>
>>> The gnutls website suggests all users upgrade to version 3.7.7,
>>> even those on the
>>> stable branch, while 3.7.x has not been declared as the stable branch.
>>>
>>> What gives?
>>
>> I would say we could declare 3.7.x as stable, given the amount of
>> backward incompatible changes since 3.6.x is limited.  Any thoughts on
>> that?
>
> Could you release the 3.7.x branch as 3.8.0 and declare that stable?
> That would effectively turn all code in 3.7.x (that is still around)
> into stable and supported code via the 3.8.x branch.

That would be an option and now is probably the time to consider a next
major release as it's been almost two years since 3.7.0.  We currently
follow a bi-monthly release cadence and the next release will be
mid-Sept, so I suggest targeting the next next release (mid-November) at
nearest.  Let's start planning on the milestone[1].

> I'm happy to help, although it was years since I last did significant
> work on GnuTLS.

Thank you!

>> If we want to keep 3.6.x, someone would need to invest on updating the
>> CI infrastructure (either porting the recent changes or switching a
>> simpler CI configuration for the old branch), which may require
>> significant effort.
>
> The GnuTLS CI takes hours to complete - this seems detrimental to
> productivity.

We actually know which jobs are taking hours: "make distcheck" and
cppcheck runs.  Maybe we could turn them off for the stable branch
(gnutls_3_6_x) for now, using the rules keyword[2].

Regards,

Footnotes:
[1]  https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/milestones/30

[2]  https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#rules