[gnutls-help] gnutls 3.7.7

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Sep 2 19:56:28 CEST 2022

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at bebt.de> writes:

> On 2022-09-02 Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> Could you release the 3.7.x branch as 3.8.0 and declare that stable?
>> That would effectively turn all code in 3.7.x (that is still around)
>> into stable and supported code via the 3.8.x branch.  I'm happy to help,
>> although it was years since I last did significant work on GnuTLS.
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> did the Gnutls version number semantics change?
>
> Iirc for release in 3.x series at some point of time 3.n.m was declared
> stable and when 3.n+1 was branched off as next, i.e. there were stable
> releases of 3.0, 3.1, ….

Sorry I don't really know what the semantics are, and incorrectly tried
to document what I thought was the case here:

https://gitlab.com/jas/gnutls/-/commit/e486e2f9a105d37fd73fcd312e9be6025d10221c

Then how about the following as the way forward?  This assumes nobody
has the time to backport security fixes to the 3.6.x branch any more,
and we are confident 3.7.x is stable.

-|stable|3.6.x  |as needed       |
-|next  |3.7.x  |bi-monthly      |
+|stable|3.7.x  |as needed       |