the new layout

Brian Edginton edge@edginton.net
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 06:56:32 -0700

On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 11:51:10PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 11:22:18AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> > the new layout of GPA is not that different from the old one.
> > > * Key generation does not work and has *too many* options
> > > Only these fields are needed:
> > > o Create standard key | create sign only key
> >
> > Is the second one really needed for beginners?
I think that both options should be available for beginners as many start out with gpg for signing mail messages.

> Create standard key should be enough.
>
> > > o 1024 bit | 1536 bit | 2048 bit
> > > (but don't tell the bit numbers instead label them:
> > > "standard" | "high security" | "paranoid and slow")
> >
> > That's okay for beginners, but as an expert I want to know the size
> > in bits.
The current verbage in the command line makes this clear, and there is enough hype about key size lately that this probably isn't a mystery to novice users.

edge -- Brian Edginton edge@edginton.net