UTF problem?

Werner Koch wk@gnupg.org
Thu Jan 25 14:26:00 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Bernhard Herzog wrote:

> One solution would be to use GTK 1.3 on Unix as well, but 1.3 is an
> unstable development version.
I'd vote for this way. Getting character conversion right is a tough and painful business and given that OpenPGP specifies the use of UTF-8 for all things (except for the content of course). Getting GPA rweally stable will take some time and by that time GTK+ 1.3. may be stable enough. Frankly, I thing that 1.3 is currently stable enough for our stuff. The other solution would be to do the UTF-8 conversion in gpapa/gpgme but then we need a way to set the character page used. I know that I can hack this into gpgme quite fast but it will be a hack and gpgme should not do it. So we better go the UTF-8 way for now and decide later which GTK version we are going to use for Unix. Werner -- Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> GNU Privacy Guard (http://www.gnupg.org) Free Software Foundation Europe (http://www.fsfeurope.org) [Please see X-* mail header for OpenPGP key info]