Can't install GPG GPA in FreeBSD: GTK install fails if using X Windows

Craig Carey research@ijs.co.nz
Tue Jun 12 23:01:01 2001

I was unable to install GPA 0.4.2 and 0.4.1 into FreeBSD.
GPA expected some gtk-conf script or something with a similar
name. When gtk is installed from the FreeBSD ports then that
script is absent. Directly installing gtk+ into FreeBSD seems
to be very difficult due to bugs turning up in the install
attempt. GTK+'s or GTK's version 1.2.10 software produces a
significant number of error messages about missing X Windows
files. I upgraded to X Windows 4.1 (released in June 2001).
My last version of X Windows was dying without saying why
Apparently XFree86 does that when an "&" is put after the
word "xterm" in a 1 line ~/.xinitrc file.

If I downgrade X Windows just in a hope of getting GPA installed
then it is very possible that GTK still will not install.
Version 1.2.8 didn't install.
GTK+ or GTK: http://www.gtk.org/

[X Windows is upgraded and GTK+ can't be installed but if there
was a way past [e.g. installing binaries from a FreeBSD port
that does not have a gtk configure script], that software using
GTK would actually be usable.]

FreeBSD users avoid the problem of pure gtk.org software that
they can't install, by using the ports. But ports (the obvious
port and one that quietly installs gtk-1.2.x) do not install
the configure script that GPA 0.4.2 said it needed.

Currently GTK is incompatible with X Windows 4.1
(http://www.xfree86.org/).

Can GPA be rewritten so that it does not expect that
gtk config file?. There is no FreeBSD port for GPA.

Getting Mutt to allow Gpg to encrypt the contents of an
outgoing e-mail message is not obvious. Can some documentation
on that be put online?.

E-mail: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Auckland, NZ. |  Snooz Metasearch: http://www.ijs.co.nz/info/snooz.htm