Quick Start

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan@intevation.de
Tue Jan 22 09:21:01 2002

Hi Rolf,

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 06:38:18PM +0100, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> Can someone give me sort of a quickstart for using kmail with S/MIME and/or
> GNUPG (via Plugins).

I will try, but the work on this is still intensively going on
and the KMail S/MIME is definitely not ready for daily use.
Brave testers are welcome of course :-)

> I have a running gnupg installation and a s/mime cert. which is installied
> in kde via kcontrol (including root certs. that are needed to verify my
> cert.).
>
> So I am able to verify my cert. in kcontrol.
>
> I have installed kmail and activated the S/MIME Plugin so it is loaded and
> initialized successfully on kmail startup.
>
> How do I get my cert. in kmail. Does kmail use the kde settings from
> kcontrolcenter?

You have to import the cert into the KeyBox through gpgsm:

gpgsm --import cert

> And how is the "relationship" between the gnupg builtin support in kmail
> and the openpgp plugin? Do I have to set the builtin pgp support to "Donīt
> use any encryption tool" to be able to use the plugin?

The idea is to replace the 'old' gpg support by the gpgme-based
one, once it works satisfactory.
The AEYGYPTEN_BRANCH KMail is experimental, I think it doesn't matter
what you choose there. My setting shows gnupg.

> If I am missing any "howto" docs, feel free to give me a RTFM with an url.

The only howto is currently at
	http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html
and this only explains how to build all.

I will add some hints today on how to use. Your help
with testing is welcome for this.

	Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/