GPA `improvements'

Francis J. A. Pinteric linuxdoctor@linux.ca
Sat Nov 9 13:18:01 2002

Hi List,

I've been using GPA for a while and as a tool to peruse keyrings it's great. However as a tool to do real maintenance, it needs vast improvement. Towards this end I've taken it upon myself to make some incremental improvements to the code in that direction.

Question: where do I send my patches to? I've looked for information on this in the documentation no no avail.

A quick summary of what I've done and where I'm moving the code. First, all changes to the code has been against the 0.4.3 version which I remamed 0.4.3a. So far, I've only made some cosmetic changes.

1. Altered the `Details' notebook to display alternate UIDs as well as a few cosmetic details (TODO - add similar to display alternate keys).
2. Enhanced the behaviour of the Signatures notebook so as to allow user to select a signature and cause it's key to be inserted into the KeyID field of the Import keys dialog. In this way, if the user wishes to download that key from a keyserver he doesn't have to mnually type in the KeyID.

There are a few more cleanups that I want to do as well. For instance, the "Key Type" field should really display key type and not simply whether the secret key is available or not. As well, the "Key Trust" field doesn't flag expired keys as being expired, but only as "Don't trust." Neither trust values are reported correctly in the case of an ultimately trusted key (Owner trust is reported as unknown, and key trust is reported as trust fully).

As well, the editor dialog isn't really useful at all, but I have a few ideas about that as well. I think where I'm going with it will make it more useful.

In any case, I'd like to submit what little I've done so far for some feed back. If you don't like it, well that's too bad, I find it useful and I'm going to continue. :-)

Cheers