Dirmngr overhauled

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Dec 15 09:29:58 CET 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:48:27 +0100, Simon Josefsson said:

> There is TDB as well, which permit concurrent write access via a
> DB-like API.  It seems nice, but I haven't tested it myself yet.

A write once DB is suffient for our task because what we do is to:

  1. Download the CRL
  2. Verify that the CRL is valid
  3. Store verified the CRL for easy access; this means not to use the
     DER format but a format suitable for random access.

When using this cached CRL we first check whether the next_update date
has not been reached and if that is the case we start from scratch.

The locking I was talking about is simply to make sure that no two
instances are loading the same CRL as the same time and at the end one
instance wins and updates the DIR.txty file, thereby making the entire
download of the other instance needless.

Thanks for the pointer to tdb.

  Werner

--
Werner Koch                                      <wk at gnupg.org>