How to start gpg-agent? / Fwd: Re: startkde script modification question

Marc Mutz mutz@kde.org
Fri Jan 17 13:07:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_1o+J+dv8jhWqwrO

On Friday 17 January 2003 11:55, Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:
<snip>
> > This approach sucks, IMHO, because if I start kmail via remote x
> > (ssh -X user@host.com kmail), neither the bashrc nor statkde is
> > ever used. Can't kmail just start the agent if it is not running?

Please start to understand that gpg-agent is _not_ KMail specific. If=20
any such start-on-demand is done it has to happen in gpg itself or each=20
and every program using gpg needs to replicate that functionality.=20
What's worse, each such program would have to parse=20
~/.gnupg/{gpg.conf,options} for agent usage.

> > have the agent create a pid file somewhere in /var, and check for
> > existance on startup...

That indeed would be a better alternative to the environment variable=20
approach. Not the least for when gpg-agent has been restarted for=20
whatever reasons. The problem here is that different OSes have pid=20
files in different places.

> > Environment variables suck for gui programs, there is no way to set
> > them globally, once the desktop is running.
>
> Mir brauchst du das nicht zu sagen :-) Schick das doch mal an Marc
> Mutz,=20

Euhm?

> gpa-dev@gnupg.org und an kde-core-devel / kmail@kde.org :-)

Marc