Fwd: Re: RFE kmail with S/MIME

Ingo Klöcker kloecker@kde.org
Sun May 18 21:31:02 2003

--Boundary-02=_A8ox+9EGgz7+phc

On Saturday 17 May 2003 20:11, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2003 01:48:05 +0200, Ingo Kl=F6cker said:
> > I'm passing the ball to the Aegypten developers: Have the Aegypten
> > people obtained rights to use IBM patent 5953420? Do they know
> > about that IBM patent? Can an implementation of S/MIME be free
> > considered
>
> We don't implement the DH key agreement method.
>
> Anyway, the DH key agreement patent expired in 1997.  Hmm, this is
> patent no 4200770. I don't know what's up with 5953420.

Me neither. The text behind the URL mentioned by Alan Cox says:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Revised IETF Patent Policy Posting:

Implementations of the Diffie-Hellman algorithm as used by S/MIME:
=2D RFC 2630 Cryptographic Message Syntax
=2D RFC 2631 Diffie-Hellman Key Agreement Method
=2D RFC 2632 S/MIME Version 3 Certificate Handling
=2D RFC 2633 S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification
=2D RFC 2634 Enhanced Security Services for S/MIME

and by  PKIX:
=2D RFC 2459 Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL
Profile

may require a license to IBM patent 5953420 (Method and Apparatus for
Establishing an Authenticated
Shared Secret Value between a Pair of Users).

Where there is a necessary dependence upon this patent to implement the
algorithms, IBM  will provide, upon written request from implementers of
S/MIME or PKIX,  a non-exclusive license under reasonable and
non-discriminatory terms and conditions, in accordance with IBM's usual
licensing practices.

Any party wishing to request a license should write to :

Gerrianne Delaney
IBM Director of Licensing
IBM Corporation
North Castle Drive, Armonk, N.Y., 10504
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Maybe IBM quickly invented a new patent because the old one had expired.

Regards,
Ingo

--Boundary-02=_A8ox+9EGgz7+phc

--Boundary-02=_A8ox+9EGgz7+phc--