Installing Agypten with KDE 3.2

Joseph A. Martin jmartin at desertflood.com
Fri Apr 23 15:49:42 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am using Debian unstable with KDE3.2 installed. I've been trying off and on
for the past six months to install the Agypten plugins with KMail. I would
like to be able to sign/encrypt my e-mails using S/MIME encryption. Is this
possible with Debian and Agypten? Can I use the Debian compiled KMail or do I
have to build my own? Does the Debian KMail (3.2.2) require patching? What
packages (and versions) do I need?

I've tried (several times) following the instructions found on
http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html. When I load the plugin
into KMail, I get the following error:

Error: Plug-in "GPGMe-SMIME" initialization unsuccessful.
library: /usr/lib/cryptplug/gpgme-smime.so
version: 0.3.16
Plug-in is out-dated or not installed properly.

At this point, the actual software on my system is a complete mixture of
Debian and locally compiled packages. I should probably clean it out and
start over from scratch. But first I want to know if it is possible, exactly
what versions of what packages need to be used, and how to do it.

Can I use Agypten with the S/MIME plugin to sign/encrypt e-mail on KMail 1.6.2
(KDE 3.2.2)?

Thanks!

~joe
--