Analysing non-working OpenPgp KMail (iPlanet mangled boundary)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jan 6 11:48:08 CET 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 06:10:39PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Unfortunately
> http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html is incorrect.
> Running "echo "test" | gpg -ase -r 0xDEADBEEF | gpg"
> will only result in _one_ password dialog pop up
> when you enter the right passphrase.
> The password is cached for the time to live value.

Marc (Mutz) pointed out to me
that indeed you will get two password dialogs
because one for the signature key and one for the decryption key.

But, people reading the current kmail-pgpmime-howto
might think that the test fails when they run the line again
and get no password dialog at all,
because the passwords are cached.
This happened.

>     2. Step	 Check KMail Configuration
>     -------
>
> Sending email messages between the user and myself worked fine.

> I've used KMail and mutts to read and write encrypted and signed emails.
> The only thing that still did not work was that the user
> could not decrypt messages encrypted and send to himself.

Might have been clear from the context:
The user tried to encrypt messages to himself.