[issue123] gpgconf needs new field with longer help string

David Faure aegypten-issues at intevation.de
Thu Mar 25 20:06:26 CET 2004

New submission from David Faure <faure at kde.org>:

Let's take an example:
one of the gpgsm options is
 include-certs:16:2:number of certificates to include:2:2:N:1::

It's relatively easy to guess what this option does....
But how will users guess that -1 means
"send all certificates in the chain along with a signature or the number of
certificates up the chain"? (found by reading gpgsm.h), and -2 apparently means
"without the root cert" (not even mentionned in gpgsm.h!).

I think this calls for a new field in gpgconf, which would hold a much longer
"description" for each option; we could call this field "help" for instance.

In the GUI the current "description" is used as the visible label for
checkboxes etc., the "help" would be used as "what's this help", used by the
user to find out more about the meaning of a particular option.

messages: 572
nosy: david
priority: wish
status: unread
title: gpgconf needs new field with longer help string
topic: gpg