kmail doesn t sign/encrypt e-mails, broken pipe

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 14 23:41:31 CET 2004

On Sunday 14 November 2004 22:02, Erik Wasser wrote:
> When I try to import it:
>
> % gpg --import <publickey
> Secure memory is not locked into core
> gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
> gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
> gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
> gpg: key 33EAF336: no valid user IDs
> gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
> gpg: Total number processed: 1
> gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1
>
> Well what does that mean? What is this user ID about? Do I have to
> use PGP instead of GPG? Why? I don't understand this at all. B-)

A user ID connects a key and its owner. Usually it contains the key
owner's name and his email address. If a user ID is not self-signed
then it could have been added by anyone to the key. I think some very
old versions of PGP created user IDs without self-signature. You have
to ask the key owner to sign his user ID if you want to use the key.

Regards,
Ingo