kmail doesn t sign/encrypt e-mails, broken pipe

Erik Wasser erik.wasser at iquer.net
Tue Nov 16 13:19:18 CET 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:01, Werner Koch wrote:

> I had no problems importing that key.

Everytime I think that all my problems are solved with the next answer
mail from the ML everything gets worse. B-)

> > Both can't be imported in my gpg-1.9.10: 'no valid user IDs'.
>
> Ah well, you should not use gpg2 (the OpenPGP part of GnuPG 1.9).  It
> is way behind the development of decent gpg 1.2.x or 1.3.x.

Can you tell me something about the different parts?

gnupg-1.2.6 is the stable version.
gnupg-1.3.92 is the unstable version (what's new in this branch?)
gnupg-1.9.10 is another unstable version (what's different in this
branch?
gpgme-1.0.1 is a interoperability library for kmail vs. gpg, right?

I want to use GPG for securing my mails including the attachements. So I
can't use the deprecated "inline OpenPGP" method.

I've found the Aegypten2 project page[1] and the requirements are: gnupg
(>= 1.9.10). Or is that the requirement only for the SMIME standard?

> Please install gnupg-1.3.92 - if coexists without problems with gnupg
> 1.9.x (at least with the latest one).  There is a reason why it is
> called gpg2 and not gpg in 1.9.

Thanks. After installing I made some softlinks[2] but now everything
seems fine. I'm now waiting for a feedback of my crypted mail.

Thanks for your great support.

[1]Using OpenPGP and PGP/MIME with KMail:
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html

[2]
ln -s to /usr/local/gnupg-1.3.92/bin/gpg /usr/bin/gpg
ln -s to /usr/local/gnupg-1.3.92/bin/gpg /usr/bin/gpg2

--
So long... Fuzz