Kmail and OpenPGP

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 10:52:19 CEST 2004

On Saturday 11 September 2004 6:38 pm, Ken Walker wrote:
> I hope this is the appropriate place to ask these questions as I am not
> very skilled in using command line processes and have never compiled
> packages in this way before, but here goes:

Herein lies your problem. You haven't used the compiler before and it looks
like you haven't installed the full compiler package.

(An inherent problem with binary distributions).

> checking for gcc... gcc

So you could compile programs written in C (like GnuCash),

> checking for g++... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for gpp... no

But you're missing the C++ extensions?

Some of these you won't need anyway:

> checking for aCC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for cc++... no
> checking for cl... no
> checking for FCC... no
> checking for KCC... no
> checking for RCC... no
> checking for xlC_r... no
> checking for xlC... no

But this is a problem:

> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
> checking dependency style of g++... none
> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

> My guess is that I lack some packages necessary to be able to compile

Yes, the compiler!

> but I
> have no idea whether that is right or what packages may be necessary.
>
> Can anyone here help?  Thanks in advance.

I can't help with the specifics on Mandrake, but look for packages for g++ on
Debian I get g++-3.4 - The GNU C++ compiler

Try that and come back if it still fails.

--

Neil Williams