Incompatible passphrase encoding in gpg/gpg-agent?

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sun Apr 10 13:51:05 CEST 2005

Bernhard Reiter sagte:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:35:27PM +0200, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>> I have recently received a bugreport about pinentry-qt not handling the
>> "§"
>> character correctly. After some testing it turns out that gpg, if used
>> without gpg-agent seems to encode passphrases differently than the
>> agents do.
>
> That probably is a locale and encoding issue.
> Of course the pinentries should use the current locale and if they
> run on X11 they are influenced by those settings, too.

The mailing list has been rejecting mails last week and then I forgot about
the issue, sorry for the delay.

I've tested this with gpg and the pinentries running in the same
x11-session with the same locale and encoding (de_DE.ISO8859-15, I believe
that charset is called @euro in glibc-land). It should be easily reproducable.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org