pinentry-qt hangs when pressing Menu key then Esc

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Jun 15 22:22:36 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 20:02, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> A Debian user reported (bug #303508) the following, which I can
> confirm:
>
> To reproduce this bug, you must have a keyboard with a Menu key (or
> some other key, I suppose) that is mapped to open a context menu.  I
> believe this is the default mapping for this key, if you have it.
> (On my keyboard, the Menu key is between the right Logo key and the
> right Ctrl key.)
>
> 1. from a terminal, run pinentry-qt
> 2. type getpin<Enter>  (a pin entry dialog box should appear)
> 3. in the dialog box, press the Menu key  (a context menu should
> appear) 4. press Esc
>
> At this point, the dialog box will dissappear, but no response will
> be returned to the terminal.  (If you omit step 3, you will get the
> response "ERR 111 canceled", which is what we want.)
>
> This bug manifested itself to me as kmail hanging after I
> accidentally mistyped my passphrase (by hitting the Menu key instead
> of Shift, which is right above it) and then hitting Esc to get a
> fresh start.  At this point the context menu was showing, and it hung
> as described, and kmail hung too because it was still waiting for a
> response.
>
> (Note that if you get the context menu for the line edit using the
> right mouse button instead of the Menu key, this bug does not
> appear.)
>
> Also, other apps that use a line edit do not behave this way; for
> example, to see the expected behaviour, do this:
> 1. run kdialog --inputbox test
> 2. follow steps 3-4 above

This problem is very likely due to pinentry-qt grabbing the keyboard (in
order to prevent what exactly?). I had to add some hacks to KMail to
prevent it from decrypting a message when a context menu was shown
because otherwise X would hang and the only way to fix it is to kill
pinentry-qt by remotely logging in. Obviously the context menu and
pinentry-qt both tried to grab the keyboard and deadlocked or whatever.

Regards,
Ingo