problems with mutt's gpgme setup

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Mar 1 21:27:26 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 06:46:58PM +0100, Christoph Ludwig wrote:

> b) When I selected the certificate for the signature I was presented with the
>    following choice:
>
>    1 x  1023/0x19442EB3 RSA  es <cludwig at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
>    2 x  1024/0xC1D60643 RSA  es <cludwig at cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
>
>    I happened to know that 0x19442EB3 was my old certificate. Since I just had
>    imported the PKCS#12 file with my new key I erroneously assumed 0xC1D60643
>    to designate my new certificate. (In fact, it designates an old, long
>    expired certificate that I had forgotten.) So I selected the latter
>    certificate and wondered about the resulting error message.

Note there are two workarounds at this point:
	a) hit the check signature funcation (usually bound to 'c')
	b) Once you have figured out which key to use, set a default
	sign-as in .muttrc with  set smime_default_key=0xXXXXXXXX

> 1) I'd like to associate a string with each certificate that is printed in
>    addition to the certificate ID. Then I could assign each certificate a
>    meaningful label.

I think the meaning full label is not necessary and might be even a
bit missleading, if user say "good" or so and the certificate is not good
or so.

> 2) I want to be given a choice among *valid* certificates only when
>    selecting a certificate for a signature.

I agree that 2) would be useful, at least the information should be displayed
better in the case of a expired certificate.
If you like you can add this to the ägypten tracker as wish.
https://intevation.de/roundup/aegypten

Best,
	Bernhard