Encoding: a proposal

Lorenzo Cappelletti l.cappelletti@mail.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:47:26 +0100

(Since nobody has replied to my message yet, probably because of
missing subject, I repost it here)

Hi all,

after reading the long thread about encoding, I've got a proposal for
you which aims to be simple yet complete.

1. Translator of lang LL (en, de, ...) chooses the encoding ENC (UTF-8,
Latin10, ...) that best suits their needs.

2. Since no information is stored in text (thus .wml) file about
encoding, they can translate a .wml file using their favorite text
editor and encoding ENC.

Translator's editor *must not* corrupt others' translations by simply
opening and saving the .wml file!

For those of you who needs images for proper language symbol rendering
(Romanian), I can provide some WML custom tags to make life easier.

3. Final .html.LL file will be made of text in plain ASCII (mainly
tags) and translated text in encoding ENC.  No re-encoding is
performed.

HTML header will be filled out with these attributes:

  encoding="ENC"
  lang="LL"

In the future we can think to adopt po4a mechanism
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/po4a/).

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

One click access to the Top Search Engines
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom