www.gnupg.org - new design

Lorenzo Cappelletti l.cappelletti@mail.com
Wed, 04 Dec 2002 17:02:59 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Nahrath <michael@nahrath.de>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:57:16 +0100
To: <gpgweb-devel@gnupg.org>
Subject: www.gnupg.org - new design

> I like the new site. It's a bit surprising for a GNU project but not yet
> overloaded.

I hope I haven't broken a tradition...

> While taking a look at the code ("who did they do this ..." ;-) my editor
> printed out an error report. Maybe you are interested.

[snipped]

I know, more or less, of all errors you reported.  That's why pages
don't show up beautiful "XHTML compliant" and "CSS compliant" logos..
:..-(  But compatibility is one of my primary concern.  I'll keep your
very detailed report for future reference, when I fix all those bugs.
I hope you'll be available for consults.. ;-)

> is only usefull (if ever ...) if it is used as early in the code as
> possible. It should be the very first child of 'body'.

I didn't know this...

> Ever preferable was to correctly set up the server by putting
>     AddCharset  utf-8  .html
> into the .htaccess file for the site.

We don't have Apache, rather Caudium (and, to be honest, I've never use
it).

It's not Werner who uses entities, but WML (http://www.thewml.org/) that
translates them (see http://www.gnupg.org/index.wml).

> each page might be marked up as 'h1' ...

I dont' use <h1> for that porpouse but for page title, like "The GNU
Privacy Guard" in http://www.gnupg.org/.

> Of course what you are doing here ist table abuse, but at least you don't
> bloat the code too much by this. Additionally I don't have a simple idea at
> the moment how to achieve the same effect without tables and I like it :-)

If such a standard adhering person can forget about all those tables
because he likes the site, it must mean that site looks pretty much
cool.  Thanks a lot!!!

> I hope you are interested in my unasked proposals for enhancement.

You're much more than welcome!

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

One click access to the Top Search Engines
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/mailcom