["Roger Padvorac" <roger@skilledwright.com>] sizing of en faq page on http://www.gnupg.org

Michael Nahrath gpgweb-devel@nahrath.de
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:55:17 +0100

Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> schrieb am 2002-12-10 19:37 Uhr:

> Well,
>
> I don't understand this message:
>

>> I appreciate all the work that went into this. Unfortunately it is very hard
>> for me to read the faq because it goes way off to the right of the screen, so
>> I have to keep sliding it back and forth to read it, and this makes it hard
>> to follow.
>>
>> This is the page:
>> http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html
>>
>> I am running:
>> windows 2000 server sp2
>> IE 5.50.4807.2300
>> with screen resolution 800 x 600

I can confim the issue with Mozilla and iCab on MacOS X =>
quite shurely not browser dependent.

>> The page looks hardcoded for something like 1024 x 768 or larger.

The problem is not 'hardcoded' like <td width="900"> would do but the use of
the 'pre' element, used on the page to markup code and input text.

'pre' (PREformatted text) absolutely prevents line-breaking inside its
content.

And there are long lines of text marked up by 'pre' (questions 4.12, 5.7).

Usually only the reformatted lines are too long for the screen and the rest
of the text breaks normaly to fit the browser window. But not if it all
belongs to a table :-(

Solutions:
- don't contain everything in <table> (hardly aplicable to the current
  site ...)
- don't use <pre>.
  Rather use <code> for program output and <kbd> for program input.
  Linebreaks will be set by the browser automatically.
- use <pre> but care to break long lines manually.

Greeting, Michi