Testing browsers

Pauliuc George pauliuc@gmx.net
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:57:44 +0200

--6NOGC6Nb,3=..bpU

This is the list:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3b)
Gecko/20030214 Phoenix/0.5

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.4a)
Gecko/20030327 Phoenix/0.5

IE 6.0.2600.0000

Lynx Version 2.8.5dev.3 (06 Oct 2001)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.6c
Built on linux-gnu Feb 23 2002 11:15:10

Links 0.97pre3

The comments go like this:
1. an early nightly build of Phoenix after stable version
0.5. As you can see, Gecko 14/02/2003.
2. a much more recent Phoenix (again nightly build, after
stable version 0.5). Gecko 27/03/2003.
3. The windows version involved is a WinMe with large fonts.
This wasn't a problem for Gecko. But for IE, because of the
different fonts made the table border from the banner not on
the exact same vertical line with the rest of the page.
Beware as IE has lots of rendering problems.
4. Lynx displays well, with one note: it doesn't handle
tables pretty well. So the table is split up in two: one
column the side bar. Than, below it and not on its side the
contents. Else, everything is okay. and things are readable.
But the quick links on the side are less than useful because
they are in the previous screen. Yet, no other technique I
can think of can solve this problem. Frames would wonly mess
things up.
5. Links displays everything gracefully. It's quite
beautiful in its simplicty. And it honnors the table
positioning. It even has some limited CSS support (as much
as it is possible in the console).

Sorry, no older browsers around. Maybe I'll find some
Netscape 3&4 on some old free CDs but I can't promise
anything.

--6NOGC6Nb,3=..bpU

--6NOGC6Nb,3=..bpU--