Reading new key packages (Re: Coexistence with OpenPGP/IETF)

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Sat Jan 6 10:46:39 CET 2024

On 5 Jan 2024, at 23:13, Heiko Schäfer via LibrePGP-discuss <librepgp-discuss at librepgp.org> wrote:

> How common is the use case of having meaningful metadata for a literal data packet?
> In which scenarios do applications make use of these metadata fields?

That’s a good question, and I don’t have the numbers to hand (perhaps Werner does?). The crypto-refresh draft assumes this use case is not common, and recommends that non-pgp methods be used instead. That’s still probably the best way to design a greenfield app; this proposal is about fixing the integrity of these fields in the cases where that isn’t possible, say where we need backwards compatibility with an existing app that expects them to exist.